Thursday, August 28, 2008

Confession

Ok, there was one more thing that the Dr. told me to do that I didn't tell you because I wasn't sure I could actually go through with it. I told the doc that Katelyn wasn't going to sleep until after midnight, sometimes not until 1:30am. He told me I had to do the famous "Let Her Cry". I said, "But she's not tired at all, so she just wants to play, how long am I supposed to let her cry?". He said, "Yes.". He then told me, and this was the kicker, that it was hurting her that I let her stay up because she wasn't getting enough sleep. So he told me it would take 5 days. He said that I had to do it, for myself and her (at least that's what I think he said or maybe that was just in my mind). He told me if I couldn't do it myself, then I was to go out to a movie every night for 5 nights while David did it. So, as I was now pondering the fact that I was hurting my child by letting her stay up, I had new momentum to try the crying. I can't remember which of the past 5 nights was the hardest, but I think she got better each day. I will not lie, I will not tell you it was "no big deal". Because it was. It was horrible. I did it, but it was heartbreaking to hear my baby cry. Knowing that she was sitting up holding on to the side bars like she was in prison... aw... it was painful. But the doctor was right. I had been putting her to be a little earlier each night, and I put her down tonight at 9:43 and she stopped crying at 9:45. TWO minutes! I couldn't believe it. All this time....man, I should have done this a long time ago. And did I tell you she has slept through the night the last THREE nights in a row?? She woke up last night around 2:30, but put herself back to sleep before I could even get to her. So, it is now 10:00 and I'm going to bed.... unbelieveable and wonderful. Good (and I do mean good) night.

3 comments:

Maren said...

Congratulations! I think that's one of the hardest things to do with the first child. Laurel would cry for 45 minutes to an hour. It nearly killed me. But it was so much easier with Brant. Either he doesn't have her persistence or I was not as foolish :)

Karen P. said...

That was my saving grace. Especially after Lily came. My kids now go to bed at 7:30pm. And they sleep in their own beds. I am a firm believer in the "Let them Cry" method. It is so hard but so worth it. Karen

Heather said...

WAY TO GO!!! It took me a lot longer than that to let Tyler cry! I also wished that I had done it sooner. I have had to do it with both boys, but it is so worth it when it works! I had to do it a couple of times with Tyler before it actually worked! Way to go - it makes it easier to handle other tricky situations that come up :-) Isn't motherhood so much fun!!